Byon June 29, 2016
Make-up artist to the stars, Vuyo Varoy was born and raised in the popular Western Cape township, Gugulethu.
His career as a make-up artist began when he was hired by MAC Cosmetics and was later selected to work at SA Fashion Week and then received Advanced Makeup Training in Las Vegas.
Today Vuyo has beautified the faces of Bonang Matheba, Singers Lira and Tiwa Savage, actresses Terry Pheto, Boity Thulo and is the official make-up artists for first lady Tobeka Madiba Zuma to name a few.
Vuyo shares some make-up and beauty tips and secrets:
- The Eyebrows: Avoid shaving all your eyebrows. Instead, grow them and shave or tweeze according to the shape of your face. If one struggles to shape his or her own brows, then consult a professional. Shaving and re-drawing should be avoided. Eyebrows are important to channel sweat, rain, and moisture away from the eyeballs.
- The Face: Always take good care of your skin by cleansing, toning and moisturizing twice a day in the morning and before you go to bed. When looking for foundation, match at least 2 to 3 shades on your jaw line; make sure you are doing this under natural light. The one that blends invisibly on your skin is the perfect colour match.
- Lips: If you have cracked lips, for a quick home remedy mix sugar and utter/olive oils to create an exfoliator. Apply the mixture on your lips and massage for about 3 min, rinse it off and apply a lip conditioner. Lip Trends: Vampy shades are big this season. These consist of unusual colours such as dark blue, deep purple, burgundy and blacks all in matte textures.
- Choosing Brands: This is entirely up to the individual; stick to what works for your skin and not based on what works for your friend. Skins are different and all react differently.
- Myth: There is a myth that if you sleep with makeup on your face it will make you look younger – this is a lie. Always make sure you remove your makeup before you go to bed.
A photo posted by Sir Vuyo Varoy (@vuyovaroy) on