Byon December 8, 2015
By Koketso Mashika
Recently, basketball icon Kobe Bryant’s announced his plans to retire at the end of the 2015/6 season. The 37-year-old Los Angeles Lakers player is amongst the greatest sportsmen to ever run the court.
Here are 10 things you might not know about the 1,98-metre athlete:
1. He was named after a Japanese steakhouse.
2. At 19 years old, he became the youngest player in the history of the NBA to become an All-Star in the 1998 event, and has participated every year since then.
3. He is the first player to ever reach 30 000 points and 6 000 assists.
4. He is currently earning about R350 million a year.
5. He has been in the NBA for almost half his life.
6. The first thing he said to basketball legend Michael Jordan was: “You know I can kick your ass one on one.”
7. He initially had plans to be a rapper.
8. He married Vanessa Laine 14 years ago. They have two daughters.
9. His prom date was singer Brandy.
10. He spent his early years in Italy and speaks Italian fluently.