Byon January 11, 2017
It’s the first day back at school for thousands of South African children and parents are lapping up the moment with adorable pictures of their little ones.
Proud parents have taken to social media to show pictures mostly of first time “Big School” goers – children in Grade one wearing their very first school uniform.
Some children are seen trying to fight off their parents who have to drag them to school, because they are afraid of the big brave world. Others make striking poses and appear confident and excited about the new year.
The first day of school can be daunting for many children who might be disoriented in a new environment.
Here are five tips for parents on what to during the first week of school:
- Make sure you get your children to school early so they don’t need to rush while they continue finding their way to their classroom and around the school. This causes needless stress and possible punishment if they are late.
- Walk your child to their classroom if they are a bit anxious but make your goodbyes short and sweet.
- Pack a healthy lunch and water to drink during hot weather. A bottle of sunscreen is useful for children playing in the sun or attending extra mural after school.
- Make sure you have labelled all your child’s belongings and carry a lock so that you can keep your things safe. Teach them how to use it and how to keep the key safe.
- Keep a bus schedule handy for those using public transport, so your child does not have any hassles when it’s time to go home.
Here’s to a great year of hard work and academic success.
— LuisMzi (@Lungisa35) January 11, 2017
— DEON SMITH (@Nashtims) January 11, 2017
— Pris_Mshengu (@Ma_Shengu_T) January 11, 2017
— NATIVE (@thabisosoprano) January 11, 2017
— Paballo Lephaka (@Pabi_Lephaka) January 11, 2017