Byon December 9, 2016
By Hope Malau
Preparation: 15 min
Cooking: 8 min
1 vanilla pod
500 ml (2 c) milk
375 ml (1½ c) castor sugar
7 egg yolks
200 g store-bought Christmas pudding, chopped
300 ml cream
5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- Split the vanilla pod lengthways with the tip of a sharp knife and scrape the inside to remove the seeds. Add both the pod and the seeds to a saucepan with the milk and bring to the boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat, set aside and remove the vanilla pod
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg yolks until cream in colour. Then gradually whisk in the hot milk
- Pour the mixture into a separate saucepan over a low-medium heat and keep stirring until it thickens in consistency enough to coat the back of the spoon. Don’t allow it to boil as the mixture will curdle.
- Gently incorporate the chopped Christmas pudding and continue to stir gently. Pour the contents of the pan into a large bowl and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream until soft peaks form and add to the bowl, along with the vanilla essence.
- Churn in an ice-cream maker or simply put the mixture in the freezer and whisk every once in a while until it has frozen.