Byon January 30, 2017
This yummy dish was inspired by Oprah Winfrey’s favourite healthy meals. For more on the media moguls’ healthy eating plan, get the latest issue of YOU, in stores 27 January.
Cold tomato soup (gazpacho) is perfect as a light, healthy lunch during summer. The hot version is wonderfully flavoursome and can be prepared in minutes. To make the soup sweeter and creamier, add grated sweet potato. You can also use pumpkin.
• 2 onions, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1,2 kg ripe plum tomatoes, cut into chunks
• 1 sprig rosemary
• 5–10 ml (1–2 t) brown sugar
• 1 sachet (50 g) tomato paste
• 1 sweet potato, peeled and grated
• 500 ml (2 c) vegetable stock
• 5–10 ml (1–2 t) paprika or 2 ml (1⁄2 t) ground cumin
• salt and pepper
• 1 sheet puff pastry (optional)
• basil pesto (with paprika) or coriander pesto (with cumin), moistened with a little oil or a little Greek yoghurt for spooning on top
1. Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
2. SOUP Place the onions, garlic and tomatoes in a roasting pan and scatter the rosemary on top. Mix with some oil and sprinkle with the sugar. Roast until the edges are lightly browned.
3.Transfer to a large saucepan, and then add the tomato paste, sweet potato and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer until aromatic, about 15 minutes. Season with paprika or cumin.
4. Blend using a stick blender and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5.TO FINISH Cut patterns from the pastry, a tomato for example, and place on a baking tray. Bake until cooked and golden brown.
6. Spoon the soup into bowls, drizzle with pesto or yoghurt and top with a pastry lid.
Tip You can substitute the fresh tomatoes with 3 x 400-g tins chopped tomatoes.
Recipe courtesy Carmen’s Best Recipes